Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Day 1 - (for lack of a better title)

I am officially all in. After learning of my acceptance into Physician Assistant school at East Carolina University yesterday, I made my final decision to take on this mission. It seems to be the last time in my life that I will be able to attempt such a feat. I was asked last week to be part of the World T.E.A.M. Sports cycling team. The team is comprised of disabled and non-disabled veterans (about 5 or 6 from each branch) who will ride from San Francisco to Virginia Beach from mid May to mid July. Before I make this trip, there are a few hurdles:

#1. I had to have the "Honey, you might want to sit..." conversation. It went better than expected and Cara is supporting me 100%

#2. The furthest I have ridden a bicycle in the past 15 years is across the street to work. Literally, .1 mile from my front door. I have to figure out a training regimen that will prepare me for 60 days of bike riding between 50 and 120 miles a day (not to mention crossing the Sierra Nevada, the Rocky Mountains, the great plains, and everything else between the Pacific and Atlantic!).

#3. I don't think my single speed beach cruiser or my 12 year old rusty mountain bike will up for the trip. I have to research and get some decent equipment. <--- Always open for corporate donations and/or personal assistance through sharing your knowledge or old equipment ; )

#4. The tights... do I really have to wear the tights? I haven't worn form fitting pants since my high school wrestling days!

So, where I currently stand is getting the right gear and getting myself prepared for a journey of a lifetime. I am switching my training from my Jui Jitsui regimen to a long distance conditioning regimen.

No comments:

Post a Comment