Tuesday, May 11, 2010

One week and counting/corporate interview

I can't believe that I'll be heading to San Fran in 1 week! It feels like just yesterday I hauled out my monster bike and hit the road for my first 17 mile ride in January. Now, after many many hours in the saddle, I am hitting 50, 60, 70+ miles with no trouble. Having the right gear goes a long way. I had a phone interview with the public relations rep a few days ago that went well. At first I was a bit hesitant to allow my story to be used for what seemed like corporate advertising but after some consideration this is what I concluded.
During Vietnam, Korea and World War II, everyone seemed to be involved. There were large numbers of veterans who returned home and everyone seemed to know someone who was drafted, killed, or wounded. It is different today. As the years passed from September 11th, things returned to normal. The majority of folks see the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan as distant afterthoughts, something you see on CNN, maybe debate our involvement over a few beers, then forget. For that reason, I think it is important for OIF/OEF veterans to tell their story. It is important to let people know what the wars mean to us and how they have affected us. Our corporate sponsors are giving us the means for a national voice. They are allowing our stories to be told to inform the country and give voice to the few that have served and sacrificed for our safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment